Tuesday, August 5, 2014

LG G Watch

The LG G Watch

How smart is your smart watch?



I was debating on waiting for the Moto 360 but with that not being available, and a sudden feeling of "I need a new gadget" I was willing to settle for my second choice of a Samsung Galaxy Gear Live.  After calling around to different "Big Box Stores" I found that the Gear Live was also not available in stores yet, and sold out online.  I then did what any person feeling a need for a new toy does, I settled for one that was not even in the running earlier that day.  I went with the LG G Watch!

In opening the box to my new LG G Watch I found myself questioning if this time piece was really for me.  At first glance there is nothing Awe Inspiring or even really exciting about this watch.  With a very squared off bulky body, a rubber band like strap, and the yet to be upgraded blank face I was less than impressed.  The body of the watch was thick and appeared to sit high on my wrist, but oddly enough it was actually comfortable.


Many high end non-smart watches take the time to make the back of the watch appealing, going above and beyond on a part of the watch that will never be seen.  This is not the case on this watch.  It is littered with product code, warnings of how not to dispose of the product, Federal Communication information etc.  The only product branding is not molded into but rather printed onto the plastic back.  You can also see the 5 pins for the quick mount magnetic charging adapter included with the watch.  After reading about the watch there is rumor that these pins have been corroding causing poor connection, or even discoloration of the skin.  Immediately after firing the watch up for the first time there was an automatic update that is also rumored to shut off the voltage to these pins when not in use to prevent these concerns from happening. 

When I fired up the G Watch I was surprised at the quick setup process.  I was able to quickly get through the basic questions, then pairing to my phone (a required device for any Android watch to work) was a snap.  After the basic setup I found the factory default screen was not great, so I opted to change to one of the other factory screen offerings.  I have looked at screens to download, but for now I am staying with the simple black with white hour and minute hands, with a moving red second hand.

I was surprised to begin seeing my appropriate Google Now information cards popping up on the screen like magic.  Instantly I began to feel like this Smart Watch thing may have some purpose after all.  Almost intuitively the "OK GOOGLE" screen pops up allowing you to have information at your finger tip.  Most of the information then prompts you to see additional information on your Smart Phone rather than scroll down through as you may want (a little disappointing when you can scroll through incoming emails no problem without needing your phone at the ready).  I have yet to be able to view a text on the watch.  I get the icon showing I have a new text message but again it appears I need to pull out my Smart Phone rather than view the message on my supposedly Smart Watch?

Specs for this watch are impressive for such a small package, and it does seem to perform without any lag, or hesitation.

Specs:
Chipset  Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 processor
Display 1.65-inch LCD IPS (280 x 280)
Memory 4GB eMMC / 512 MB RAM
Battery 400mAh
Operating System Android Wear compatible with Android 4.3
Size 37.9 x 46.5 x 9.95mm
Weight 63g
Connectivity Bluetooth 4.0
Sensors 9-Axis (Gyro / Accelerometer / Compass)
Color White Gold / Black Titan
Others Dust and Water Resistant (IP67)

In a world of I need the answer, and I need it NOW can smart watches perform?  Maybe.  The Android wear operating system does seem to be a step up over some of the previous operating systems we have seen so far; however the more important part is the potential that the Android Wear operating system brings for the future.  
Thus far in my personal experience with this watch I have experienced some frustrating moments of swiping cards off the screen unintentionally, only to find out they are lost for what seems like forever.  I am finding some of the functions are becoming more intuitive as my learning curve is developing.  My kids have found it magical that I can prompt my wireless speaker to play using just the sound of my voice.  The battery can last a couple of days if the "screen always on" function is toggled off.  More importantly this watch does what it is supposed to do, and that is get you the information magically when you need it (before you know you need it) thank you Google Now.  It also does a good job of getting you the important information you need from your current stocks, email, notifying you of who is trying to call you, text you, or even reach you through Google+.  Overall I am beginning to really enjoy the unintended experience I am having with this watch, and am looking forward to the updates to come in the future that will make the user experience even better.
onthemovetech.com




No comments:

Post a Comment